Monday, May 28, 2007

Assignment 7, Composition

This assignment taught us all about the rule of thirds when shooting. My tendency before when taking a pic, was to place my main subject in the middle of the frame...thus making them the middle of the pic. What I learned in this assignment is to use the rule of thirds. Imagine there is a grid on your frame (like tic-tac-toe). Where the 4 lines meet (top 1/3 corner right and left, bottom 1/3 corner right and left) is where you want to place your main subject. It is more pleasing to the eye this way, as you will see in my photos. However, when doing portraits, of course you want your subject centered.....so you want to place your subjects eyes in the top third center of the frame. Also, most people have the tendency to shoot in horizontal position...but sometimes flipping the camera to the side and taking the pic in vertical position can bring a whole new perspective to your photo. I really loved taking these pics! I hope you enjoy. I'm including the 2 I submitted....and of course, you know I have some others that didn't make it in.


Flag Before
Flag After
Using the Rule of Thirds, I reframed the flag in the upper left corner and flipped the camera to vertical. That way I got more of the landscape behind.


Tractor Before


Tractor After
Reframed the tractor in the lower right third of the frame. I really liked this shot, it reminds me a lot of Utah....especially West Weber!


City Hall Annex Before

Although this is a beautiful shot of the building, I wanted to focus more on the water fountain.

Water Fountain at City Hall Annex. I flipped the camera on the vertical and came in closer for the shot of the fountain. This way you are also able to see the beautiful sculptures on the facia.

Above: Tractor Before

Below: Tractor After

I really love how the field pops in these pics. Another reminiscent shot of West Weber. I thought the dust plume behind the tractor was pretty cool!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I would really have to go back and check out some of my "portfolio", yet I realize that some of the things your are being taught are just some of the things I do. In fact, my father HATES when I flip a picture vertical! You are taking some awesome pictures, keep them coming.